From: MK [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 November 2003 15:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] science, technology and research council policy

Wow Jens. Incredible demolition job. Really interesting stuff. That PhD was
not in vain.

The depressing thing is that anyone can still adhere to the "science is
different" mentality.

Even the great "science ain't technology" zealot, Lewis Wolpert, is a little
bit more sophisticated in his thinking.

There are just so many other dangers in seeing science as separate from its
applications. It begins with the "why do it?" question.

If it isn't to achieve something, that is applications, then perhaps it
should receive funding at the same level as opera, one of my other favourite
destinations for public money.

Rare is the scientist who does not, in these money pressed times, promise
that their science will be of some use to someone. And this is not just a
bid to get money. I was talking to a researcher yesterday who was just the
latest of many who have told me that they are dead chuffed when someone in
industry is interested in their work. Is there anyone out there who really
is just in it to satisfy their own urges?

The use of the science is, of course, the whole point of the debate. The
"pure" researcher simply cannot wash their hands of the outcome of their
work. "Not me guv. Someone else filled the syringe. I just sold the drug."

It is because scientists have not become involved in the discussion that
they have lost this unquestioned right to operate.

MK

Michael Kenward OBE       /      Phone: +44 (0)1444 400568  Fax: 401064
                         /
Science Writer & Stuff  /                        Have words will travel

1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an
email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
message:

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list
archive, can be found at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and
science and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk