As Psci-Com users are probably aware, there are three strands to the
Government's consultation process into GM technology - the science strand,
economic strand and the public debate. The Office of Science and Technology
(OST) is leading the science strand and contracted the BA (British
Association for the Advancement of Science), with its experience of
facilitating dialogue, to run a number of consultation events around the
country.

Executive of the BA, says: "Even though there may be some criticism of the
consultation process, we are delighted that the public debate is happening.
We urge people to make a constructive input to the debate regardless of
their concerns. The more genuine the public discussion, the more likelihood
that policy will reflect reasoned public views, priorities and expressed
values. The BA is involved in facilitating the science strand and we are
keen that the findings of this strand and those of the economic strand are
brought forward and integrated with the public debate and results of the
field testing in the autumn."

______________________________________
Make sure you have your finger on the pulse. Subscribe to Science & Public
Affairs, the magazine that puts science under the microscope!
www.the-ba.net/SPA

Craig Brierley
Press Officer
the BA
23 Savile Row
London
W1S 2EZ
T: +44 (0)20 7973 3078
F: +44 (0)20 7973 3051
M: 07957 468218

For the latest information on events, activities and resources, go to
www.the-ba.net.

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk