> Science and Public Affairs Forum
>
> 'Testing times for medicine: genetics and the search for safer drugs'
> Thursday 6 February 2003
>
> Tests will soon be available to show how certain drugs are affected by
> your genes. The benefits from these tests include helping prevent patients
> suffering adverse reactions to the drugs and enabling the development of
> more personalised medicines. But the NHS and regulatory authorities will
> face a number of difficult decisions before making the tests and drugs
> available, decisions which may even impact on the traditional
> doctor-patient relationship. Who will decide whether the tests and
> medicines are made available? Will they be available to all, or just to
> those who can afford them? Should patients automatically have the right to
> receive - or even refuse - a test?
>
> Join our panel of speakers, including Sir Michael Rawlins from the
> National Institute for Clinical Excellence, Professor Robert Kerwin from
> the Institute of Psychiatry, Dr Paul Martin from the University of
> Nottingham and Chris Friend from the Genetic Interest Group to discuss the
> implications of pharmacogenetics.
>
> The BA will publish a report on the SPA Forum, which will be submitted to
> the Nuffield Council on Bioethics as part of its public consultation on
> pharmacogenetics. The report will be available via the BA website at
> www.the-ba.net <www.the-ba.net> .
>
> This event is organised by the BA and sponsored by the MRC.
>
> Please note that the event is free, but places must be booked in advance.
> To reserve a place, please email [log in to unmask] or call 020 7973 3052.
>
> Date                     Thursday 6 February 2003
> Time                      18.30 (doors open at 18:00)
> Venue                   The Royal College of Physicians, 11 St Andrews
> Place, Regent's Park, London NW1 4LE
> Nearest tube        Great Portland St, Regent's Park
> Info                       [log in to unmask] / 020 7973 3052
> _________________________
> Craig Brierley
> Science Communication Officer
> the BA
> 23 Savile Row
> London W1S 2EZ
> tel: 020 7973 3064
> fax: 020 7973 3051
> www.the-ba.net <http://www.the-ba.net/>

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk