For those with any of the standard keyboards, there are unused key-stroke
combinations that can be programmed to give easier access to non-standard
characters. Unfortunately they don't work for email or pagemaker, but fine
in wordprocessing software, and  if the text is wordprocessed it transfers
intact to the others. So I've set my keyboard so that alt+n=ñ, alt+e=é, etc.

Mark