Where does the Gobnait come from, Deborah?  These translations, Alison,
Arni, yourself, are wild.
Got to saddle my horse quick.
Mairead

Mairéad Byrne
Assistant Professor of English
Rhode Island School of Design
Providence, RI 02903
www.wildhoneypress.com
www.maireadbyrne.blogspot.com
>>> [log in to unmask] 06/12/03 21:46 PM >>>
My birthday was Tuesday and Kenneth's post reminded me of the story of
how I
got the name Deborah or didn't.  My parents thought that Deborah was not
common name (just a bit ahead of Debbie Reynold). But I am told that in
1950
Deborah was not a "saint's name" so the priest said how about Mary
Deborah,
but my father did the then equivalent of whatever and the story goes
that my
baptismal name was Mary.  Who knows? But I do remember the horror of my
mother, a convert from Garrison Keilor land, when I told her I wanted
the
name Agnes for confirmation. In those days confirmation was not really a
coming of age in the faith community thing, but when the bishop happened
go through the county--a week after our First Communion.
And last on this little journey down memory lane, by time I entered the
convent, they had stopped the custom of giving out new names.  Actually
like the name Deborah.

Well happy birthday to Mark and other Geminis.

from Newark (NJ)