Hi Dave,

Oh well, just was curious. The news about the prize fell across my desk
today and I thought maybe it was dumb of me not to know who he was.

I will be spending the next week far away from Sydney on a very small
island trying to finish off a novel in which one of the characters says
'there are only 150 people in Sydney'. It's an old saying of a friend
of mine and it's pretty true. Seems it may be the case in other places.

Many thanks anyway,
Jill

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 01:17  PM, david.bircumshaw wrote:

> Hi Jill
>
> I know the name, and I even read something of his somewhere along the
> line,
> but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. Which isn't
> critical comment but rather a confession of being in training for
> Alzheimer's. This afternoon for instance I was talking to someone about
> books, apropos of the debates that have ranged and raged about CAD's
> poem,
> and I wanted to say something very strongly approving of Jean Rhy's
> early
> novellas and short stories of the 1930's, but I couldn't remember what
> her
> name was. The texts yes, but the author's moniker had just slipped
> into that
> yawning void.
>
> Contrariwise, in the same discussion, this guy who lives two floors
> above me
> in the flats suddenly asked if I knew of a poet/playwright called
> Stephen
> Mulrhine (sp?) - I'd never heard of him but he's the cousin of the
> fella who
> was talking - said fella is an alcoholic druggie who is on crutches
> because
> he got in a fight - later on I spoke to Rob and it transpires that SM
> went
> to university with R, a year before, and was initially one of the
> instigators of the Glasgow School in the 60's. My point being twofold:
> what
> a small world it is, and what a big one.
>
> Names, names, and names!
>
> Best
>
> Dave
>

> David Bircumshaw
>
> Leicester, England
>
> Home Page
>
> A Chide's Alphabet
>
> Painting Without Numbers
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.bircumshaw/index.htm

Jill Jones
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~jpjones

Latest book: Screens Jets Heaven. Available now from Salt Publishing
http://www.saltpublishing.com