On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 02:19, Henry Gould wrote:
> I agree with you on all these points, Frederick.  The threat of Bush policy
> toward civil liberties & social justice is very real.  But, contra the loud
> left, I don't see a seamless web of conspiracy which consigns any & all US
> foreign policy to "bad".

Henry and Frederick,

Thanks for posting your arguments in support of the war. I was looking
for reasoned arguments such as these. I did quickly read that Jose Ramos
Horta of East Timor was making a similar argument that the war was
justified if it liberated the people of Iraq but I haven't followed this
up. Civil liberties and social justice in the US are a concern I had
also, based on documents I read from the US Department of Defense on
what they call Fourth Generation Warfare.

What I wanted to ask also is how much currency this Pax Americana
conspiracy theory I have come across has. In Marxist theory there is no
capitalist conspiracy and to say so would be inconsistent with
historical materialism. I have pasted below an excerpt of some of that
conspiracy theory which elsewhere also links into occult practices such
as human sacrifices (which I found interesting as I came across a
similar conspiracy theory linking the Nazis to secret occult practices
in the 1920s.) I have been looking for conspiracy theories to do an
analysis of and this one sounds like it may fit my needs, which is why I
ask. (I am suspicious that the writers may well be in the pay of the
CIA, given the way such theories work against themselves... if you
follow my joking tone, here.)

Anyways, thanks again and below is just an excerpt of what I have found.
Chris Jones.

From:
http://truthout.org/docs_03/022803A.shtml
Blood Money
By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t | Perspective

The Project for the New American Century seeks to establish what they
call 'Pax Americana' across the globe. Essentially, their goal is to
transform America, the sole remaining superpower, into a planetary
empire by force of arms. A report released by PNAC in September of 2000
entitled 'Rebuilding America's Defenses' codifies this plan, which
requires a massive increase in defense spending and the fighting of
several major theater wars in order to establish American dominance. The
first has been achieved in Bush's new budget plan, which calls for the
exact dollar amount to be spent on defense that was requested by PNAC in
2000. Arrangements are underway for the fighting of the wars.

The men from PNAC are in a perfect position to see their foreign policy
schemes, hatched in 1997, brought into reality. They control the White
House, the Pentagon and Defense Department, by way of this the armed
forces and intelligence communities, and have at their feet a
Republican-dominated Congress that will rubber-stamp virtually
everything on their wish list.

The first step towards the establishment of this Pax Americana is, and
has always been, the removal of Saddam Hussein and the establishment of
an American protectorate in Iraq. The purpose of this is threefold: 1)
To acquire control of the oilheads so as to fund the entire enterprise;
2) To fire a warning shot across the bows of every leader in the Middle
East; 3) To establish in Iraq a military staging area for the eventual
invasion and overthrow of several Middle Eastern regimes, including some
that are allies of the United States.