I've found opinion to be very divided on the subject of Shirley and Dolly
Collins. I could listen to both all day long, but others have compared their
singing voices to the expiring mewls of drowning kittens.

It's a strange thing in a folk club when someone gets up and sings something
trad in the style of Kathleen Ferrier (this does happen occasionally,
believe it or not; the people who go to folk clubs tend to be old enough to
have grown up listening to Ferrier, for one thing). Tastes shift:
authenticity nowadays sounds like Norma Waterson, who is indeed a tremendous
singer but also one with her own mannerisms and "date".

I think that authenticity, or some subjective sense of it, is partly the
issue: sticking with folk for the moment, I get irritated listening to June
Tabor because she sounds sort of /fake/ to me, and I think the irritation
stems from my being aware of the mannerisms rather than accepting them as
part of the grain of the music. If June Tabor is what you think folk singing
sounds like, then you'll enjoy June Tabor a lot more than I find I can; but
because I grew up listening to the Watersons and the Young Tradition, I
think folk singing sounds like that.

Sid Kipper is very good at drawing the mannerisms out of the "grain of the
music", and making you hear them as mannerisms again...

Dominic