Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:50:06 -0800
From:         Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      "pastoral trap" and a gender question

>I was unaware of the proliferation of the deer population in New Jersey.
>There I go!--I got sucked into the "pastoral trap" of seeing what used
>to be woodlands here in Jersey as some sort of animals' paradise.

In the eastern states the Indians used to do controlled burns, to create
more clearings rich in fodder, and to encourage younger, more deer-friendly
plants in the understory. Also gave them a clearer shot. The woods, all the
way to the tall-grass prairie, was a vast managed hunting park. In the
treeless west, especially before the Spanish brought horses, a band of
Indians would stampede a herd of  buffalo off a cliff. Hey, there were a
lot of mouths to feed.

In book and movie Bambi is about as male as you can get, yet boys are never
named  Bambi. How come?

Mark