Hi cris

I take your point about 'numbers', it just seemed to be what you were
implying, but I'm very painfully aware of how e-mail conversations can lead
to misunderstanding. I'm not dismissive of poetry linking with other arts, I
like it in fact, but neither do I look at that without reservations anymore
than I look at poetry by itself without the same. I am very wary of certain
emphases in our culture on image, technology etc but that wariness does not
preclude a preparedness to accept the possibilities of extension.

Can poetry be 'autonomous'? H'm, maybe it can suggest a kind of autonomy,
something which is a metaphor for psychological integrity, to a holding
together of the falling apart at least for the moment of the poem. I don't
know, this is something I'm trying to work my head around, and crucial to
whether I continue to write or not, can't say more than that at present,
because I can't claim to have an answer.

Best

Dave

David Bircumshaw

Leicester, England