> I liked that poem, Dom.  This is not a new poem, but it's kind of
> concerned with the same questions:

Yes, I remembered that one from somewhere (you might have posted it here
before, a while ago). Derailed trains again, interestingly enough. My son
watches Thomas the Tank Engine a lot, which is full of disasters (which are
his favourite bits). A psychologist recently suggested that the series was
making children frightened of train journeys. Oliver re-enacts the
particularly "traumatic" scenes with great relish and enthusiasm.

I think it's a bald and useful truth about what it can be like being eight
or nine years old that I really did see being myself as something that
absolutely had to go on happening without interruption. The idea of any sort
of hitch or hiatus in the continuous thread of consciousness raised all
sorts of problems. One could become totally estranged from oneself in an
instant. An obvious response to this anxiety is to place one's identity in
the safekeeping of others, who will keep watch over it even when one forgets
oneself. I think this is an idea that occurs sooner to some people than to
others; it came rather late to me.

Dominic