Henry,

We'll get lots of images of people celebrating now, especially of the
long-oppressed ethnic groups. Who can't feel happy for them, even
those of us who oppose this war?

I can understand how such images would give you a rush of
vindication that you would want to share, now that the conquering
legions are closing in on victory and all the statues are being pulled
down.

But what about the images of horror we have seen so little of and of
which there are so many? Those countless stories of pain and
despair we will never know? The thousands, probably tens of
thousands, of dead and maimed and traumatized? Not just the
"innocent," but the countless combatants, too, most of them
perfectly decent and loving and confused people like us all, I'm
sure. And to think that it is not over yet...

I know you are sad about the many deaths and broken lives. But
I'm wondering: Do you feel now that these celebrating images prove
that the slaughter, still ongoing, was worth having had?

I'm not trying to start a row with you, and I don't want to, frankly.
But I have a question, and I'm really interested in your answer: Will
you also support the coming invasion of Syria? It, also, is a
Baath'ist regime. Why stop now? And why stop after that? There's
no doubt we can roll over everyone, and that our TV's will show us,
at the end of every case, the crowds in the square cheering as the
statues come down...

Kent