At 12:23 PM -0500 17/8/03, tom bell wrote:
>Sorry, all,  i seems to have gotten embedded in an argument and i reall
>don't know what anyone is trying to say.  I posted what I did in the spirit
>of exchanging information but apparently that wasn't clear from my original
>post.  Sorry to have disturbed you.

No disturbance, Tom, and I'm sorry if the argument sounded more
aggressive than was intended.  It's a by product of interest, honest!
Though I have to say his approach to writing for people with trauma
&c certainly seems therapeutic and, in the terms he's talking about,
I think he's correct.  But that's another question.

I had as direct contrast the linguistic analyses of Elaine Scarry,
whose book The Body in Pain I am idly rereading at the moment.  They
are themselves not directly about poetry, but have subtlety and
inflection and fluidity and attentiveness and so make me think about
poems (and, although the book was written decades ago now,
frightening relevance - her discussions of the alienated language of
war could have been written directly about the WMD debate).  The
major questions for me were those about truth-telling and lying, and
where fiction might exist in that spectrum, or whether fiction
writing might destabilise such ideas altogether, and the question of
the choices of suicidal and non-suicidal poets and how the
representative poems were chosen, including the unaaddressed issue of
translated texts, which made the conclusions extremely contingent, to
the point, perhaps, of uselessness.

Best

Alison Croggon

Blog