>From: Jill Jones <[log in to unmask]>

>I've just read that a book called The Ice Age by a poet called Paul Farley
>has
>just won the Whitbread. I am unfamiliar with the name so was wondering if
>anyone had any clues.
>
>Cheers,
>Jill

He's a young (by which I mean late 20s, early 30s) poet from Liverpool. The
Ice Age is his second volume to be published by Picador, the first being
'The Boy From the Chemist Is Here to See You' (or something like that) which
I think is pretty excellent for a first collection. Haven't seen The Ice Age
as yet. You should find both on Amazon (UK) I should imagine.....I like his
wit and wordplay, but that might just be me; he may be a little (for want of
a better word) mainstream for some on this list, but he's extremely
inventive within his own field, as it were. Worth a look. There's a page of
the Whitbread winners (with a link to a poem by him) on the Guardian website
here: http://books.guardian.co.uk/whitbread2002/0,12605,837891,00.html

Cheers,

Nick T

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup