Not exactly.  You seem to imply that at some point in the past there was a
decision by an overwhelming number of men to force women into specific
gender roles. There's no evidence for this, altho there's plenty of
evidence of men resisting changes to those roles. The fit between cultural
norms and practicality is loose, but never so loose that behaviors that
threaten survival manage to endure.

The reason one heard few complaints about gender roles from women or
reactions to same from men until (in historical terms) very recent times
(and that one still doesn't hear them in some places) is that the division
of labor between genders was functional. After the once functional social
norms became obsolete (at different times in different places and classes)
there was, and continues to varying degrees to be, what's called social
lag--the old ways remain for a while more comfortable for many men, and
also for many women, than the prospect of a rewriting of the norms, with
all of the unknowns that that implies.

It should be noted that the very few preindustrial female voices of protest
were those of extremely privileged women. The lives of all but a few in
even the most prosperous societies were, as they still are in most places,
focused instead on very tenuous survival. Few farm wives protested having
to milk the cows instead of guiding the plough.

Mark