Hal --
>Seems to me that it *is* better known. But then I can
>remember when L. Bernstein's performance of the
>second symphony flashed upon the world. At that
>time, Ives was unknown. Today his major works have
>been recorded many times over and are performed
>all over the world. You can find his music on CD in
>practically any mall you choose to visit.

You're right about that, & that bernstein version hits hard, but I wonder.
Davenport's point was that Ives isn't really seen for the American original
(genius) he is, not by the larger public. Maybe still the case?

I did like your poetic take on his thinking, finely tuned, we might say...

Doug

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320      (b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

There is no real
world, my friends.
Why not, then