There were also the 17th century "advice to the painter" poems, as in
"paint this, paint that." There were a lot of them, invariably political.
Marvell wrote a couple. Curiously, when I was involved with them in
graduate school in the 60s the term ekphrasis never raised its head.
Probably it didn't have nearly the currency it seems to have now.

Mark