Alison made this point:

<<I am wondering what the percentage of woman ceos or board members is.
In Australia it's very low, in the single percentage points; but that
hasn't stopped men complaining that women are "taking over".  I was
commenting on what I perceive to be a reaction against such novel
prominence.  But I am repeating myself>>

I am reminded of a comment by Samuel R Delany, quite some time ago, a gay,
black, writer who had taken up ideas from feminism, & thought he was
'onside'. He noted that he unconsciously assumed that the numbers of women
& men in a crowd waiting for a subway car were equal, but decided one day
to count & was rather horrified to find that the percengages were about 15%
women to 85% men. SO he set himself to truly 'see' what was in front of his
eyes. After some tie & effort, when he thought the numbers were equal,
there were about 40% women to 60% men. He did make the connection to the
phenomenom Alison mentions above, when a single ceo of a major company may
be seen as 'they're taking over!'

I *think* women writers in Canada are about equally represented in
publications, & that many are seen as among our finest writers, but I may
be guilty of what we could call 'the Delany phenomenon'.

I will say, & I do think this is something that only began to happen in the
2nd half of the last century, that some of the writers most important to me
as influences are women: Phyllis Webb, as many of you would have guessed;
Denise Levertov; Daphne Marlatt; Margaret Avison; etc...

doug

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320      (b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

        he said the President said
        he would not kill anyone
        anymore and the way he would not kill