Welcome to the first of our newly improved fortnightly newsletters!

In this newsletter:

- Latest news
- Browse with Plus
- Mathematical moments
- Live maths

**********

Latest news from Plus

Is now a good time? - Mathematics is helping machines decide when is
the best time to interrupt us with a call or email.

http://plus.maths.org/issue25/news/aui/index.html

**********

Browse with Plus

Einstein's papers online - You can now browse the entire collection of
Einstein's papers held at the  Hebrew University of Jerusalem, including
many digitised manuscripts, some with English translations.  It is amazing
to see his personal, political and other non-scientific comments
sandwiched between his mathematics notes.

http://www.alberteinstein.info/

**********

Mathematical moments

Albrecht Durer - Born 21 May 1471, in Germany, Durer was an artist and
jeweller, as well as a mathematician.  He was particularly interested
in applying mathematics to art, such as the techniques of proportion
and perspective, and the magic square in his 1514 engraving was the
first to be seen in Europe.

Read more about Durer from the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive:
http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Durer.html

Read more about mathematics and art from the  Plus archive:
http://plus.maths.org/indices/keyword_urls.html#MATHEMATICS%20AND%20ART

Live maths

Mathematics, Magic and Music - The London Mathematical Society
presents two popular lectures at 7pm on 1 July in London.  Dr David
Acheson is talking about "Mathematics, Magic and the Electric Guitar" and
Professor Marcus du Sautoy is explaining "The Music of the Primes".

For more information follow the '2003 Popular Lectures' link at:
http://www.lms.ac.uk/

Happy reading from the Plus team