Hi all,

I'm interested in ways in which we educate our students about
plagiarism: how we go about making it clear to them what forms of
citation is acceptable, how to quote, and so on.

In particular, i've seen some interesting use of plagiarism
_detection_ systems being used to highlight text - mock essays with
some plagiarised portions and some correctly cited portions - and the
subsequent report being used as an aid to discussion of the issues.

Do people on this list have any experiences, tips or tricks they might
like to share about ways of educating students to prevent plagiarism
in the first place?  Do you have a handout you give to students
highlighting what plagiarism is? I have seen much which details what
the penalties are, but less which deals with the nature of plagiarism
in a straightforward and understandable manner, and would be
interested in hearing how people at other institutions tackle this
problem.

Many thanks,

.h

--
hannah dee.
vision group, school of computing, university of leeds.