From Martin J Ball:

>I am looking for an example of a language that uses CV19 (reversed-e) or a quality near to it (half-high,
>unrounded
central vowel). If anyone knows of such, could they let me know the language name, and
>preferably a word in IPA using the vowel, with a translation into English of the sample word.

European Portuguese has a vowel in this area, transcribed in the Handbook with the upside-down m, sometimes transcribed with the barred i. You can check the word token 'pegar' (to grip) from the IPA sound file with the Illustration.

Madalena

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira
Dept. English Language and Literature
National University of Singapore