Mark is correct in asserting that phonology should to some degree guide
phonetics research.  Part of what 'unites' different phonetic events as
a single segment is statistics. Another part involves perception
threshholds, themselves partially based on phonology.

Some of these issues are discussed in the new and extremely useful book
by Peter Ladefoged, Phonetic Data Analysis: An Introduction to
Fieldwork and Instrumental Techniques, from Blackwell. Every
phonetician (and phonologist and fieldworker) should own a copy.

Dan

********************
Daniel L. Everett
Professor of Phonetics and Phonology