Martin Ball wrote:

>I am looking for an example of a language that uses CV19 (reversed-e) or a
>quality near to it (half-high, unrounded central vowel). If anyone knows
>of such, could they let me know the language name, and preferably a word
>in IPA using the vowel, with a translation into English of the sample word.

English (RP etc) schwa in certain environments would seem to qualify.
Namely, when not word-final, so e.g. in 'along, letters, standard, today'.

Daniel Jones in his Outline of English Phonetics locates his "schwa-sub-1"
exactly at this node of the vowel quadrilateral (section 356, page 92 in
the 1957 edition).

John Wells