From: Chris Heape [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 February 2003 3:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Transformative learning

Hi Lubomir,

Thanks for your comments.
I would like to emphasise that the example I gave, unfortunate as it
is, was to give a vivid example of
what some of the personal mechanisms for the students are, when trying
to tackle the complexity of learning to be a designer.
That these problems can both be about their personal working process or
generated by worn conceptions as to what design is about. That is often
the responsibility of the program in question.

I have within the same program and others experienced students that are
both committed, gifted and willing to move themselves.

My whole aim in generating this discussion is to try and uncover, by
gaining a richer understanding of the processes involved, what we as
design teachers can do to help improve these students' abilities. On
the bottom line, every student has potential resources that often never
get realised. I think it is our responsibility to help them realise
those resources and ensure that they can function, in my view, in a
collaborative design environment.

The reason I am so optimistic, is that I have seen how some students
can radically improve their designing ability, when given the correct
understanding and response.

The example I gave with the drawing student, reflected as much on the
teachers involved as it did on the student.

Best regards,

Chris.

-------------

from:

Chris Heape
Senior Researcher - Design Didactics / Design Practice
Mads Clausen Institute
University of Southern Denmark
Sønderborg
Denmark