Adieu and thanks:

Hi all,

I just wanted to take my leave and express my thanks for all the
contributions that have made this virtual conference a memorable event.
I'm again confirmed of the amazing value of this mail list as a
constant source of inspiration for my own research and thinking and
doubtless for many others as well.

Thank you Ken for the concept and the enormous effort you've put into
realising the conference.

As to the actual conference, the breadth of discussions around the
phenomenon of design and design education in general and in particular
with regard to UCI's School of Design proposal, indicates quite clearly
the range and dimensions that must be considered when educating design
students, both from the students' perspective as well as that of
faculty. And the dilemma of maintaining a healthy respect for design
and design education traditions, (there is a reason why some things
work) whilst at the same time embracing new attitudes and approaches.

With regard to my own research interests, design learning, as a
phenomenon that takes place in both design education and design
practice situations, is not a "hot" area of research. There is so much
that we still need to discover and understand about the processes and
experiences involved that design students and practitioners have to
deal with, especially when being involved in collaborative design
activities.

I noted with interest the discussion between, in particular, David
Durling and Susan Hagan yesterday, on the topic of intuition.  As
someone remarked, this (intuition) has been going on for some time, yet
I feel we are still not as wise as we should be, as to what happens
when we are using our intuition. This is just a fragment of design
learning, which is also shrouded in layers of mystery.

My own experience and research indicates that by taking a closer look
at the issues of design learning, one can help students and
practitioners gain a deeper and richer understanding of "what is going
on" throughout a design process. An understanding that there are many
issues at stake, other than just producing design solutions and that
alternative approaches to dealing with design tasks can be developed,
that don't just end up as a buffet of prescriptive methods. One can
make explicit much of design thinking and design learning, without
throwing the spark of adventurous thinking out with the bath water.

So I would like to ask UCI, considering the vast numbers of students
and faculty who are going to be interacting together whilst  exploring
new horizons of design, that they take seriously, as an ongoing area of
research, the development and maintenance of issues of design learning.
This could be a first. A newly established design education
institution, that embraces innovative approaches to multi-disciplinary
collaboration and which has a research program that nurtures new
understandings of the design learning of those collaborations.

Thank you for listening.

Best regards and adieu,

Chris.

-----------------------------------

from:

Chris Heape
Senior Researcher - Design Didactics / Design Practice
Mads Clausen Institute
University of Southern Denmark
Grundtvigsallé 150
6400