Hello

This message is from our colleague Eduardo Côrte-Real.

He asked me to send for all of you.

Carlos Duarte

First, let me introduce myself:
I'm Eduardo Corte-Real, [log in to unmask], Arch. PhD in Visual Communication. President of the Design School Direction Board of IADE-Lisbon. I'm also researcher at UNIDCOM/IADE. Recently I wrote a book on the nature of drawing in the early stages of the Modern Age. I called it The Triumph of Virtue.

Secondly, I must say that I've been overwhelmed by the velocity of the conference and confess that is impossible to read all the posts. Nevertheless, it started a sort of duplication and acceleration of the list, and things have beeing hot and interesting.

I will try to regain some of the discussions about sketching and the rebirth of free-hand drawing.
From Rennaissance to Maneirism the word Disegno (wich, I suspect was translated by Inigo Jones and others as Design) gain a new field called Schizzo. This type of drawing wich was similar to some types of drawing described in the Ceninno Cennini "Libro del'Arte" was stated to be the way to start new projects, first in almost chaotic directions and then capable of stimulate responses and thus start to build new forms.
I argued at my book that the virtue of a "Designer" was mesured by the quality of his drawing habilities specialy after de Academie del'Disegno in Florence and Rome.
In an sense, all Design Schools are the daughters of this Academias wich linked Theorectical reflexion to practicioners and promoted education. Is interesting that the Virtue concept evolved from the dominion of Ethics to the dominion of Aesthetics. The Counter Reform arguments against some artists where because thy where more concerned in exibiting their Virtue than to be concerned with the contents of the work. Obviously the word virtuoso gained a sort of "not whorthy" meaning.

The path lies, allways, between Ethics and Aesthetics.
The harsh evolution of Bahaus responded to the anti-modernist agenda that pretended that modern art was degenerated. The final ethical predominance of Ethics, in Bauhaus, isolated Design as the more Ethic of all arts since promoted confort and the general wellfare of society.
The same thread American Design followed, based on William James pragmatism. The mass production and not economic materials and forms just promoted general consumism wich promoted richness.
I argued in a paper that most of European Design was founded in Lamarck's view of evolution and Anglo/American Design was founded in Darwin idea of evolution. Both visions had become cultural at the end of the XIX century. And are remotly linked to Catholic and Protestant views of the world.
One notion that separates Lamarck and Darwin is the notion of waste. Darwin theory demonstrated that evolution produces a large amount of waste in mass extintion and all.
Lamarck idilic view of girafes streching their necks recuired a more moral God acting as a Designer.

Well, what has all this have to do with scketching?
A lot. Drawing (Disegno) and specially Alberti's Schematas was presented as a way to porsuit the perfection of a stable Nature. On the building of a society based on Ethics the challenge was also to built a perfect artificial world.
With the discovery that nature is in constant evollution it was possible to understand design as a way of continous production of more adapted objects. Sketching seemed to be perfect for this. The whole process of generating a scketch seemed similar to the evolution in both theorys.

My research has been oriented by the principles stated previously. The study and analisys of scketches and the act of schetchig is large and wide. The help of theorectical Physics and the theory of information along with neuro sciences is open.
the fact is that when you are schetching your pre-frontal cortex is in action and foresight and planning abilities are also located in that area. If you read Damasio's work you will notice that drawing promotes an emotional response from almost tantric to enrangement experiences...

I teach a course called " Structures of Drawing II" at a masters course. We had conducted interesting work of research on what I've called lower structure: expression, recognition and temporality. But it where quantifiable studies and not philosophical studies.

Well but now, Im ungry and thinking about lunch.

To end:

Each new School must think if it will be a Lamarck or a Darwin School or both. Never forgeting that it was free-hand Drawing wich brought us here.

Best to all

Eduardo Corte-Real
PhD. Arch.
Associated Professor