It may be possible  with hard products and blue tooth to use the internet to monitor use and transfer value to the designer... or some other system. Manufacturers might  prefer this arrangement because it is like a royalty system but based on use. Ideo talked about new products where the controls were on a PDA screen via wireless rather than on the product and one pda could control many products at a recent presentation at IIT This type of system would lend itself to new forms of monitoring use and possibly payment on a time use basis.

______________________________

R   o   b     C   u   r   e   d   a   l   e
Professor, Chair Product Design
College for Creative Studies Detroit
201 East Kirby
Detroit MI 48202-4034

Phone: 313 664 7625
Fax:      313 664 7620
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.ccscad.edu
______________________________

>>> "Charles Burnette" <[log in to unmask]> 10/28/03 01:09PM >>>
Dear Rob:

Interesting question. I recently explored the
feasibility of establishing a dot.com called
makemydesign.com. One of the key issues was to monitor
the contributions of user, designer, manufacturer to
establish their equity (read intellectual property
rights) regarding the design during its development.
It seems to me that we have to crank up both
collaboration and creativity among all involved and
reward everyone for their effective input.
Incidentally two factors that helped decide against
the venture were that designer's interviewed wanted
assurance of compensation before getting involved with
a user and manufacturer's aren't structured to respond
to the user directly (unless they own the
manufacturer's product already). As design becomes a
service (see Nelson and Stolterman's book "The Design
Way") we need to be more creative in structuring
transactions and dialog within the design process.

Best regards,

Chuck

Dr. Charles Burnette
234 South Third Street