A couple of contributions...

I think that we need better basic infrastructure like relevant textbooks specifically written for ID.

This could be a focus for action for industry bodies like the IDSA in US and Society of Designers in UK and ICSID. I am surprised with hundreds of thousands of graduates over a century that it hasn't been in the past.

Design schools should focus on team projects with students from engineering and business, more closely parallelling industry and educating businesss leaders of the future of the value of design.

Also no matter how important the lessons, I am tired of hearing about the Bauhaus, lets move on;  design should be far more than concerned those individuals in those troubled times and the world has changed in many ways, particularly the net. Their model is not good for recognising the unique character of global regional cultures such as China which will be important for everyone this century. Let's Learn from the past but consider todays problems and those of the future.

Many design schools are living in the past, teaching skills which are no longer used in industry and do not train students to think globally and solve business problems effectively. Jacques R. Giard, Professor and Director School of Design Arizona State University, feels that some US design programs mistakenly continue to focus on physical objects, are concerned with making models rather than simulating a proposed reality; elevate manual skills such as rendering at the expense of critical thinking; focus on the artifact rather than the experience; concentrate on self expression rather than the bigger picture and (incorrectly) concentrate on art and architecture as their prime source of ideology. "The second example is the design award. In my experience (I have juried my fair share of these awards), most of these are a rationalized version of a beauty competition. As a case in point, Business week's design edition has become Sports Illustrated bathing suit issue. Why? Because I rarely get little sense of how design was effective in these various cases, something that I would expect from a business journal. Did the design increase market share? By how much? Was the client's export market broadened? In which countries? Were costs reduced? I think that somehow the 'cool' factor may have played a role in the final choices. And talking about cool, IDSA's annual conference this year is entitled 'Cool Stuff.' Somewhat telling." (Jacques R. Giard PhD Design Web list)

______________________________

R   o   b     C   u   r   e   d   a   l   e
Professor, Chair Product Design
College for Creative Studies Detroit
201 East Kirby
Detroit MI 48202-4034

Phone: 313 664 7625
Fax:      313 664 7620
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.ccscad.edu
______________________________

>>> "Heinz G. Otte" <[log in to unmask]> 10/27/03 11:49AM >>>
Dear all,

Proposal for a new extensive discussion:
Let us think about, how do free Industrial Design/Product Design and
other hard design professions from the smell of fanciful artistry?
And at least, to convince company leaders and shareholders and public
too, that Industrial Design is a profession they need to use very much,
like they do with mechanical engineers, civil engineers and others!

Best regards

Heinz G. Otte M.A.
drive consult / Munderkingen/Germany