Keith & All:

Yes that¹s us. We yanks are over here using slang terms, rushing around to
³be where we are not² while plotting the overthrow of western thought. Heck,
that¹s just what we do on weekends!

With the jokes and jabs aside it strikes me that it would be most
constructive to seek the common ground between us. I am sure there is much
that we can agree on and do together.

At NextD all of our models are constructed to make the most of diversity of
thought. What we most object to is the macho bullying and intimidation that
is built into some of the dynamics embedded in our old style ³western
thought². When questioned, defenders often recite ³the wisdom of the
ancients² without understanding that game is up.

As designers move from operating within adopted conditions defined by others
to being responsible for the creation of the conditions, we naturally want
to think differently about the possibilities and our own responsibilities.
Some of us are not aware that such opportunities are now open to us. We have
a chance to play a role in the design and creation of new conditions around
thinking, idea creation and problem solving. To do so we have to do some
serious unlearning ourselves. No offence to our ancient friends intended.

Today we seek to make a finer connection between our activities and our
tools. We seek to make a finer distinction between the activity of judging
truths and that of growing ideas. We simply suggest that we learn how to
stop using the same tools for both. You can open a bottle of wine with a
hammer but that is not the tool that I would recommend. You can plant a
garden with a steam-roller but there are likely better options.

We may be masters of the hammer and the steam-roller, we may have heavy
emotional investments in both, we may truly believe that use of such tools
adds huge value in all instances but that does not make them ideal tools for
opening and planting. If we are here to close a case, nail the guilty,
unearth untruths, establish hierarchies and play judge then we are likely
all set. If we are here on the planet to help maximize our collective
brainpower, grow ideas from seeds, innovate and solve complex problems then
we will likely need a more diverse set of tools today.

In other disciplines and fields they are already on to this. At this late
date design is playing catch up so we are hardly rushing ahead at this
point. There is a sense of moving to ³where we are not² but it is not
somewhere we should not be or can not be. I believe this particular ³where
we are not² represents a significant piece of the future for the next
generation of design leaders.

This is a subject that has been raised in various forms previously on this
list. For those who might not know I have already made related comments so I
will be brief here (see reference to the archives below). This subject
represents a very difficult corner for design to turn and not all of us will
want to make that journey.

GK VanPatter
NextDesign Leadership Institute
New York

NextD
Who will lead design in the 21st century?
http://nextd.org

Previous comments on this subject:

Monday, August 25, 2003

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0308&L=phd-design&P=R19760&D=
0&H=0&I=-1&O=T&T=0
<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0308&amp;L=phd-design&amp;P=
R19760&amp;D=0&amp;H=0&amp;I=-1&amp;O=T&amp;T=0>

Wed, 9 Apr 2003
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0304&L=phd-design&P=R1638&D=0
&H=0&I=-1&O=T&T=0