Chris (and others),

Thanks for all the input. I guess that is what I get for "just wondering."

In the book, "Kill Devil Hill," it becomes apparent that while driven by a
dream the brothers spent much of their time solving technological or
engineering problems... in addition to managing the media :) They were dealing
with design in a very principled, methodological way.

You bring up an important issue to begin with: is there a difference between a
generative idea and a generative principle? I will be the first to admit that
I am not exactly sure how the term generative idea is being used. The first I
had heard of Utzon's Orange--or TRIZ and Altschuller--was here. (But that is
why I came here. To learn new ideas, new people, and new ways of seeing the
world.)

Additionally, Lubomir mentioned the distinction between mechanical design and
engineering and styling/aesthetic design and implications for the use of
terminology... but what are the implications? Maybe that is too big of a
question for the list. I would be happy with a reference.

I guess that leads to the more important question at the moment, and that is,
what is the nature of this list? Is it mechanical design, styling/aesthetic
design, general design, or some other thing? I don't want to be off topic.

Thank you all very much,

Jon