Dear Ranjan,

Three sources I used that give a rough picture are:

* Yellow pages (accessible for most countries) to get an idea of how many design businesses of differentypes there are in a region.
* The  International Design Directory at  http://www.penrose-press.com/IDD/ useful for all sorts of bits of info
* Core 77  at http://www.core77.com/
* Also Google searches  with a lot of counting by hand!

There are  other sources but a problem is all of the sources are variably incomplete. Even a page by page review of the websites of each of Austrlaia's univerisities didn't show up all the design courses.

You might find some of the matierial and data on the publications section of the  UK Design Council website useful (Facts and Figures 2001 springs to mind) - see www.designcouncil.org.uk

Best wishes and good luck,

Terry

Dr. Terence Love