Dear Ken

Zen and the pleasures of the empty room

all the best

keith

>>> Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]> 09/11/03 17:07 PM >>>
Dear Keith,

While we are on the classical topic of being and not-being, consider
Sophocles, who addresses this from another perspective in Oedipus at
Colonus, his last great tragedy.

In this play, the chorus speaks the famous line stating Sophocles's
view of life, "Not to be born is best."

It is best, Sophocles argues, not to be at all.

He does not simply wish to exclude the middle, but the whole.

Not being, indeed.

Yours,

Ken

--

Keith Russell wrote,

"Dear R. Allen,

"A very pragmatic approach - what happens if you do take up the
discourse in its history and pretend that you can understand
Parmenides et al (even in Greek)?

"What happens if I pretend we can understand each other?

"Space/Time/Identity logic can account for the difficulties.

"All the best in not being being