I would like to add some thoughts to Erik's response. I believe that
looking at design as a 'common' activity does not mean looking at it as
a naive, unsophisticated activity. Using the sports metaphor mentioned
previously, it is not a contrast between 'school yard' sports and
'professionals'. It is a discernment of what the 'game' is all about,
what are its boundaries, rules, traditions etc. and how does one become
better at playing the game? What makes a particular game a 'good' game?
How does the game change over time and what is 'playing' all about?

I believe that some of the most professional, successful, skilled,
talented designers are not known as 'professional' designers at all.
Design is more than a skill set. It is a mindset, knowledge set and
tool set as well. The capacity to design is a fundamental human ability
that is utilized to greater or lesser degrees of competence in all
domains of life.

Harold

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 01:48 PM, Erik Stolterman wrote:

> Lubomir (and others)
>
> I agree with you that we  "should study design not because of its
> everyday phenomenality, but as a specialized and enhanced activity".
> But, this has to be done at a level where design is given its due
> respect as a such a specialized activity. Design is special by means
> of its very fundamental preconditions and internal characteristics. To
> me a foundational understanding of design must be created  by a
> careful examination of how these fundamental preconditions and
> internal characteristics play out  in advanced professional
> situations, by the very best designers we can find. So, there is a
> need to (both) create  a broader understanding of design as the most
> general approach of world creation (in contrast to other approaches,
> such as science, art and religion), and a need to develop general
> design knowledge possible to be used by advanced design professionals
> in their respective field. (Of course, there are besides this,
> distinct skills and knowledges that goes with each field of practice,
> related to the intended outcome, material, etc.)
>
> So, I agree that professionalization is needed, but not as a way to
> define what design is or what it is not, but as a way to foster good
> designers.
>
> Erik
>
> tisdagen den 15 juli 2003 kl 14.16 skrev Lubomir S. Popov:
>

>> Eric,
>>
>> I appreciate your remarks and agree with them in a particular aspect.
>> However, my concern is that with such approach we are going towards
>> the study of everyday behavior. In addition, we dilute the term to
>> such a degree that it looses its analytical power.
>>
>> At our level, we should study design not because of its everyday
>> phenomenality, but as a specialized and enhanced activity. We should
>> be interested in the advanced methods rather than the universal logic
>> structures of projective (design) thinking. I haven't heard about
>> someone professionally involved in soccer to go and learn soccer the
>> way it is played at the local school ground. I know that experts go
>> to Manchester or Madrid to study how the pros from United and Real do
>> it. (Sorry I forgot the names of the Brazilian an Argentinean clubs.)
>> We are interested in design benchmarking. We need the best examples.
>> And it is natural that we can find them in the professionalized
>> situations. That's why we talk about professionalization.
>>
>> There might be some differences in our professions and professional
>> experiences. You recently implied that Industrial Design is still in
>> process of academic definition and that in that area education is not
>> a predictor of performance. I come from Architectural background and
>> strongly believe that education is important. I mean not doctoral or
>> research degree, but high level design training in a focused teaching
>> environment. It is the most accessible way of disseminating the
> [...]
Harold G. Nelson, Ph.D., M. Arch.
President; Advanced Design Institute
www.advanceddesign.org
Past-President; International Society for Systems Science
www.isss.org
Affiliated faculty, Engineering, U. Wash.