Rosan,

Don't you engage in abstraction when you design?

Let's assume you design a chair (I know you don't design
chairs...neither do I...but in order to keep us in the concrete...),
and a company makes it and sells it. You will likely iterate a few
times with sketches. They are abstractions, aren't they? But of
course represented by concrete images.

In the course of your work you study materials, production
technologies, market dynamics,...you develop a sense of how to make
judgements of the available possibilities for realizing your design
ideas. These are probably often unarticulated abstractions in your
mind, unless you need to externalize and communicate them to some
others - then they become articulated abstractions.

Then eventually you will describe the final design in some way that
makes it possible for the manufacturing process reproduce your
design. Another abstraction.

Let's assume you design something else, like a theater interior. You
become inspired by the breeze on a cold moonlit night. The theater
should in your opinion have that kind of atmosphere, and this becomes
your guiding (generative?) idea. An abstraction?

You then think about the people that come to see plays, the audience.
You make a scenario of how they come to see some pr materials in the
theater lobby, and you realize what it needs to be like to make them
feel at home and want to come back for the performance. Your imagined
'user types' are abstractions.

Then you want to make a model, finally something concrete! but even
the model is an abstraction, albeit in concrete material. I see no
difference between an abstraction constructed in words and one
constructed in wood.

Designers best abilities, like ability to visualize ideas, are
manifestations of special capability in insightful abstraction. And
so on.

Philosophy of design can't get rid of abstraction any more than
design can. Design is fundamentally about abstraction. (That may be
one difference between design and craft - maybe craft can more
plausibly try to avoid abstraction...?)

However, designers may have a reluctance to reflect on the way they
use abstraction. Most likely because because doing and producing is
the main focus of their work, and for many reflection about
abstraction and other metalevel activities does not belong to their
normal work. Or maybe it is just that the perceived forms of
abstraction or the theories to be applied are
unsuitable/uninspiring/not useful.

Design makes use of abstraction in such many ways and uses such
diversity of languages and systems of representation, that other,
more literary or mathematically inclined fields may have trouble
accepting these ways. And some approaches to design theory that rely
on the ideas about theory and abstraction from these other fields,
may inherit these problems.

So maybe the problem is not in 'theory' or 'abstraction' per se but
in the lack of sufficiently 'designerly' theories and metalevel
practices about theory and abstraction. It seems to me that this is
still in the making, as this discussion seems to testify.

kh