Susan,

I appear to have the go ahead, and you certainly have the go ahead.

> His observation echoes the way I understand design. It is an
> indeterminant situation with many possible solutions -- some better and
> some worse.
>
> But within that indeterminant space, we can find principles of practice
> useful for creative exploration, principles that are also receptive to
> the
> constraints of the situation.

Yes you are right to point this out.  I was not suggesting that we take
the situation of design thinking 'as is'.  Systematic inquiry will no
doubt lead to new and useful knowledge about designers' creative
thinking.

I was trying - probably poorly - to overturn the idea that systematic
design will necessarily be an improvement on the ways that designers
think at the moment.  Sometimes, a better understanding may well lead
to new and/or systematic ways of designing, but I hang on to the belief
that, for example, intuitive ways of working - in a suitable context
and applied in a suitable way - will continue to be utilised by certain
kinds of designers.

> When I read the proposal, I was struck by the omission of graphic or
> communication design as it leaves unexplored my own favorite area,
> visual/verbal design.

Gunnar Swanson has also raised this, and I too would like to hear UCI's
view.  As Gunnar suggests, these are often large programmes - here at
Stoke, graphic design is easily the largest single course.  Where we
hover around 25-35 in most cohorts, graphics once took 100 students,
and still is around 80 or so now.

> These intellectual skills have in no way meant an
> end to the pursuit of traditional skills or the abandonment of the
> master/apprentice learning experience. I agree that the traditional
> skills
> must be passed on.

I am glad to hear this.  I guess this bears out my belief that it is
not either/or but can be both traditional skills AND intellectual
inquiry.  Your description of tutors at work reminded me of the RCA in
London when I was a student - transferring from a college with a
reputation for very woody furniture, to the RCA in industrial design
opened my eyes to so many possibilities.

> Theory and practice
> find synthesis here. One has not replaced the other. I think that Dick
> might agree with me.

I guess he would.  Thank you for these thoughts.

David

Dr David Durling
Director, Advanced Research Institute
Staffordshire University
Stoke on Trent, ST4 2XN, UK
tel:        +44 (0)1782 294556 (direct)
tel:        +44 (0)1782 294602 (ARi office)
fax:       +44 (0)1782 294530
email:   [log in to unmask]
web:         http://www.ari.staffs.ac.uk