Susan Hagan mentions David Durling mentioning others mentioning:

"I was also concerned with another problem Dr. Durling brought up. He
mentions, '...the areas that are left out of the UCI proposal.  One or
two
respondents mentioned, for example, visual communications and graphic
design.  I do not see these as different from design.'"

so I'll mention it, too.

I've been curious if any of the UCI folk would be willing to comment
beyond the earlier mention of avoiding competition with their school of
fine art. UCI doesn't have a graphic design program but here in the US
mentioning design at a university almost universally implies -graphic-
design. The vast majority of programs calling themselves "design" (with
the vast majority of students) are in graphic design (with variations
of multimedia design, when separated from graphic design, coming in
next.)

It seems like considering graphic design as part of design brings up a
range of questions about the nature of design (and about how much
design there is in graphic design, as a friend of mine puts it.) Given
the ubiquity of graphic design in American design education, I find it
hard to believe that the discussion was purely a brief consideration of
the avoidance of academic turf wars. Can you fill us in on other
considerations for the lack of vis comm/g.d. in the plan?

Gunnar
----
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
536 South Catalina Street