Regarding the idea that design is expanding into engineering and science. In the past disciplines developed because responsibilites became staggering and many good people where not equipted for all the expectations that could be placed on them.

Job responsibilites read like you must know it all and then you would be considered an acceptable candidtate. I think connections between engineering, and science, and design have always been there and there will also be someone who may be able to do it all, but there should always be a place for anyone who would want to do less.

I remember seeing Corbusier's work at the Museum of Modern Art and admiring how much his work was about art but able to communicate the idea of a building in such a way that you could enjoy being in it. If we are looking for the proper elements to include into a design constitution then we are starting to limit ourselves. Design will always change, and what works best will always be there and a part of it.