From: Norm Sheehan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 September 2003 3:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: False consciousness and reflection-based PhD research

Hi Terry

You said...anything to do with sense of self, ego, feelings, self
perception of cognition, confidence and certainty is unreliable...

I have doubt about these issues because it seems to me that there is an
enormous amount of myth building and self-deception at the core of this
dilemma. This is evident to me through the manner that some social domains
prompt people engaged within certain research paradigms to come to perceive
and then believe that they and their work are immune from these essentially
human attributes...and then propose that their immunity from humanity
fallibility is an asset.

I want to make two comments on this now

1. No methodology is or can ever be free from the multiplex of human errors
2. The elimination of the human condition from research is dangerous
because it produces an inhuman science

I will return to this a bit later but I hope my comments draw some responses

Norm

At 06:39 AM 16/09/03 +0000, Terence Love wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Wondering. Am I missing something? In the circles I've hung out around
over the last 30 years its widely accepted that self deception/ false
consciousness is common place at least in terms of the lack of reliability
of individuals' self reports about their experiences, perceptions,
analyses, reasoning, attitudes, motivation (and just about anything else).
In other words, anything to do with sense of self, ego, feelings, self
perception of cognition, confidence and certainty is unreliable. It appears
as best I can see that this everyday stuff is serious for design research
becasue it presents a critical validity problem for some forms of doctoral
study. I'm puzzled it doesn't seem to be taken seriously in design
education - particularly in doctoral research where it is  potentially
disasterous for the success for any  doctoral candidate's thesis that
depends on self reporting or reflection.

>I asked some weeks ago if anyone on the list had a solution.  I'm
interested in finding a reuseable strategy that  enables reflection-based
doctoral research to stand the conmventional critiques associated with self
reporting.   So far, I have had one reply from a student and a reply from
the manager of a website that focuses on reflective practice..  I'd be very
much interested in the approaches used by other doctoral supervisors in
advising candidates involved with reflection-based research or research
that depends on the self reporting of internal states or reasoning -
particularly where the study is aimed to demonstrate research competence
for a doctoral award. Please feel free to email me off-list

>Best wishes,,
>
>Terry
>
>===
>Dr. Terence Love
>Dept of Design
>Faculty of BEAD
>Curtin University
>+61 (0)8 9266 4018
>===

Norman Sheehan
Lecturer
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit
University of Queensland
Brisbane Old 4072 Australia