this is what aristotle said (translated of course):

This, then, is the most certain of all principles, .... For it is impossible
for any one to believe the same thing to be and not to be, as some think
Heraclitus says. For what a man says, he does not necessarily believe; and
if it is impossible that contrary attributes should belong at the same time
to the same subject (the usual qualifications must be presupposed in this
premiss too), and if an opinion which contradicts another is contrary to it,
obviously it is impossible for the same man at the same time to believe the
same thing to be and not to be;

so nobody can have a false consciousness -- consciousness taken to be aware
of one's beliefs.  "false consciousness" is the assessment by observers who
by applying the very attribute of "false consciousness" to observed others
deny them their own cognitive ability and place themselves in a (god-like)
epistemological position above the observed others.  so, let's not use such
constructions on each other and respect the cognitive autonomy of others
even if they are lying (perhaps for their own reasons) or if we don't agree
with them.

klaus

klaus krippendorff
gregory bateson term professor for cybernetics, language, and culture
the annenberg school for communication
university of pennsylvania
3620 walnut street
philadelphia, pa 19104.6220
phone: 215.898.7051 (O); 215.545.9356 (H)
fax: 215.898.2024 (O); 215.545.9357 (H)
usa