>This may be of interest to list members from many perspectives.
><http://trnmag.com/Stories/2003/082703/Software_speeds_modeling_082703.

Thanks Bob for putting that up.
I didnt think that Shape grammars would feature so prominently ... and it
certainly is a new use one had not really thought about ...

I am a little surprised it has come from the Comp. Sc. Dept. at
GeorgiaTech, and not from the Dept. of Architecture ...!!! since there is
both A. Economou (sp?) and Chuck Eastman (OK, Chuck has a joint appt. in
the Dept. of CS.) there.

Actually shape grammars were developed by G. Stiny (previously at UCLA
Dept. of Arch, now at MIT Arch., as is Terry Knight). Both AE and CE were
also there at UCLA ...
You can refer to Journal of Env. & Planning B for more details on Shape
Grammars.
I did my masters at UCLA with GS and CE as advisors. I am currently
enrolled in the PhD programme at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
Kharagpur, continuing on previous work.
I can try to answer some questions in this area, if necessary.

regards
Paul Varghese
http://www.ddsl.net