Carma,
An excellent book on the typology of architectural
design criticisms is Wayne Attoe's _Architecture
and the Critical Imagination_ Chichester: Wiley, 1978.
Cameron

Amanda Bill wrote:
> Dear Carma,
> I found a cultural studies model that was useful for design theory and
> criticism. The model is introduced succinctly in Paul du Gay et al.
> (1997) Doing Cultural Studies: the Story of the Sony Walkman. London.
> Sage. This is too outdated to use as a textbook, but the "circuit of
> culture" model it outlines (Representation - Identity - Production -
> Consumption - Regulation) is terrific grounding for a critique of
> designed objects. I applied and developed "the circuit" model in both
> design studio and theory courses. (Of course, this is more suited to
> those of us with a post-structuralist bent! )
>
> Regards,
> Amanda Bill
>
> Ph.D student
> Department of Sociology
> Department of Womens' Studies
> University of Auckland
> New Zealand
>
> mobile 027 491 4134
> home 64 4 3877057
>

> On Saturday, September 27, 2003, at 06:36  AM, Carma R Gorman wrote:
>
>> Dear list members:
>>
>> I have been looking--with little success--for a book on design theory
>> and
>> criticism that is comparable to Terry Eagleton's *Literary Theory: An
>> Introduction,* Peter Barry's *Beginning Theory,* or Vernon Hyde
>> Minor's *Art
>> History's History.* Although there are obviously many books available
>> on
>> both literary and art criticism, I have not been able to find any
>> resources
>> that deal well--or really at all--with forms of criticism that are
>> pertinent
>> to functional objects and commodities (such as ergonomics, efficiency,
>> etc.). I had hoped to find a book on architectural criticism that might
>> tackle some of these issues, but I haven't found exactly what I'm
>> looking
>> for there, either.
>>
>> Can any of you suggest books, or even articles, that sketch out a basic
>> taxonomy of design criticism? I was initially looking for something I
>> could
>> use as a textbook in a future course on design theory and criticism,
>> but now
>> the search has become something of a personal quest for me. So if you
>> *haven't* ever run across any books like this, that would also be
>> something
>> I'd find helpful to know.
>>
>> I'll post the results of this query, so feel free to respond either
>> on- or
>> off-list (I'm at [log in to unmask]).
>>
>> Many thanks (and my apologies if you received this query from more
>> than one
>> listserv),
>>
>> Carma
>>
>> Carma R. Gorman, Ph.D.
>> Assistant Professor of Art History
>> Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
>> School of Art and Design, mail code 4301
> [...]

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.