Adrian Snodgrass and Richard Coyne's work on
designing as a hermeneutic activity negotiates
similar issues as Iser's proleptic looping.
There is an essay in Design Issues but I can't
find the reference just at the moment, sorry.
        Harold Nelson's and Eric Stolterman's
nice characterisations of the way design-as-
being-in-service aims at the 'surprise of self
recognition', that is the 'expected unexpected'
that comes from the dialogical development of
an 'uncommon understanding' between conspira-
torial clients and designers, seems to point
in a similar direction: see their 'The Design
Way' [Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Educational
Technology Publications, 2003]. In that case,
the guard-rail preventing the slide into re-
cursiveness is the emergent shared felt
sense of the to-be-articulated problem.
        This seems to me similar to Eugene
Gendlin's very interesting work on 'focusing'
(crossing and dipping). See his more recent
essays at:
http://www.focusing.org/gendlin_articles.html

"What is most thought-provoking in
these most thought-provoking times
is that we are still not yet
thinking"        Martin Heidegger

Dr Cameron Tonkinwise

Lecturer, Interdisciplinary Design Studies
Faculty of Design, Architecture, Building
University of Technology Sydney
Building 6, Room 620, ph (61 2) 9514 8924
GPO Box 123 Broadway NSW 2007 Australia

EO, Change Design Foundation
Building C, Rozelle Public School, Darling St
PO Box 369 Rozelle NSW 2039 Australia
ph (61 2) 9555 7028   [log in to unmask]
www.changedesign.org   www.edf.edu.au

Keith Russell wrote:
 > Question for Klaus Krippendorff and anyone else interested.
 >
 > Dear Klaus
 >
 > Looking recently at Wolfgang Iser's stuff on textual analysis, I was
 > wondering how you view a cybernetic account of interpretation
 > (looping) in relation to design thinking?
 >
 > I haved been mucking around with modifications (qualifications?) of
 > CS Peirce's notion of abductive logics. Iser's stuff (quote given
 > below) would seem to provide a pretty well elaborated "humanities"
 > approach to the issue of recursive modes of thought. For me, Iser's
 > point is that with interpretations of texts there is always a
 > presumed text that is given - not as a fixed part but as determined
 > or determinable part of the looping.
 >
 > In the case of design thinking the loop does not have this kind of
 > control point. Does this imply that the "wicked" nature of design
 > problems arise, in terms of the recursive/abductive logic, from the
 > absence of any kind of determined or determinable control/text? [Iser
 > quote at end]
 >
 > all the best
 >
 > keith russell OZ newcastle
 >
 > Iser : First of all, I would not call it a model [cybernetic account
 > of interpretation]. Recursive looping is a strategy of interpretation
 > that may well be combined with other strategies such as the
 > hermeneutic circle. There is some kind of feeding forward and feeding
 > backward going on even in an interpretation of a text. If initial
 > guesses and hunches do not tally, their 'inadequacies' have to be fed
 > into a renewed attempt for fine-tuning further outputs. Something
 > similar happens in the talking cure of psychoanalysis. There is
 > always some kind of looping going on in our otherwise predominant
 > circular procedure and vice versa. It depends on the subject matter
 > to be tackled in interpretation which procedure is given prominence
 > and which remains subservient. Furthermore I should not like to call
 > the operational mode of these procedures dialectic. There is actually
 > no synthesis to be aimed at when something is translated into
 > something else. In other words, the so-called result you arrive at is
 > not a resolution, but it is an arrival in terms of what you intended
 > to do with regard to the looping, and it may lead you to results
 > which may not have been in the orbit initially?
 >
 > http://pum12.pum.umontreal.ca/revues/surfaces/vol6/iser.html Wolfgang
 > Iser's "On Translatability" Roundtable Discussion Surfaces Vol.
 > VI.106 (v.1.0A - 14/08/1996) - ISSN: 1188-2492

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.