Dear Rosan and All,

Thanks for your post and your suggestion. I just
got the automated note on your post, so I've
been reading it.

For those who do not know the site, this is the
project organized by Wolfgang Jonas titled
The Basic Paradox.

Wolfgang wrote a pair of texts to which he
invited response from several designers, scholars,
and theorists. I wrote a response. Project participants
and site visitors were invited to respond to the

Wolfgang's two papers are available on the
web under these titles:

Jonas, Wolfgang. 2001b. On the Foundations
of a "Science of the Artificial." URL:
http://home.snafu.de/jonasw/JONAS4-49.html
Date accessed: 2001 December 26.

Jonas, Wolfgang. 2001c. The Paradox Endeavor
to Design a Foundation for a Groundless Field. URL:
http://home.snafu.de/jonasw/JONAS4-54.html
Date accessed: 2001 December 26.

They also appear on the site under the titles:

Wolfgang Jonas On the Foundations of a
"Science of the Artificial" Sept. 9, 2002

Wolfgang Jonas The paradox endeavour to
design a foundation for a groundless field Sept. 9, 2002

My response appears under the title:

Ken Friedman Problem and Paradox in Foundations
of Design / Problem und Paradox bei den Grundlagen
des Designs

and the rejoinders follow under the titles:

Rosan Chow Problem and Paradox in Foundations of Design

Ken Friedman reply to Rosan Chow

Rosan Chow second reply to Ken Friedman

Ken Friedman second reply to Rosan Chow

Artemis Yagou Problem and Paradox in Foundations
of Design / Problem und Paradox bei den Grundlagen
des Designs

Keith Russell Problems and Paradoxes - adding to
comments

Ken Friedman Replies to Artemis, Keith, and Rosan

John Calvelli Problem and Paradox in Protocol

Ken Friedman Response to John Calvelli

John Calvelli Problem and Paradox, Period.

Ken Friedman Problem and Paradox, Comma ...

Rosan Chow Comments on the Basic-Applied-Clinical model

It's possible to start with Rosan's latest note, but
starting with Wolfgang's two papers and my response
will help you to contextualize the whole thread.

I've been following the transformative learning
thread with great interest. At a few points I've
thought of an idea or two to add. The thread
has been so rich and deep that I wanted to read
and think a bit more before adding a couple of
notes together with a few suggestions for reading.

Much of what has been written makes good sense
to me, and I've been learning much from the expert
and well informed contributions to this thread.

I will return before long to respond to Rosan's
notes, and to add a few thoughts to the thread
on transformative learning.

Best regards,

Ken

--

Ken Friedman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design

Visiting Professor
Advanced Research Institute
School of Art and Design
Staffordshire University