Dear Colleagues,

With Dick Taylor off to the dentist, we seem to be moving toward the
end of Session 1. I will be looking forward to final comments and
Sylvia Pizzocaro, and Chris Rust. Perhaps we will even hear a few
last words from Dick.

There remain a few questions for specific speakers, and I hope they
will take the opportunity to answer. I will be back in a few hours to
wrap things up and start things off for Session 2.

I want to welcome new subscribers to PhD-Design - and I am happy to
welcome old subscribers back to the list. With over 1,200
subscribers, this is the largest and most active Internet discussion
group dedicated to design research.

For those who are new, the list as established by David Durling and
Keith Russell after the 1998 Ohio conference on doctoral education in
design. In the run-up to the La Clusaz conference on doctoral
education design, a lively debate titled "Picasso's PhD" on another
list led us to realize the need for a list that welcomes serious,
deep inquiry in addition to short notes, conference calls, and the
like.

We renewed PhD-Design in 2000. Our mandate was to cover the four
major thematic areas of the La Clusaz conference: philosophies and
theories of design, foundations and methods of design research, form
and structure for the doctorate in design, the relationship between
practice and research in design.

In the three years since La Clusaz, our remit has expanded to cover
emerging themes in design research and design education.

During those three years we have grown from just under one hundred
subscribes to just over 1,200. We form an interesting community - a
community of conversation and learning linked to several communities
of research and of practice.

On behalf of the community, I thank the speakers in this first
session. Dick, Chris, Sylvia, John, and Thomas have fostered a lively
debate ands a rich series of issues. It is my sense that these
conversations have not so much been about oppositions but about
distinctions, contrasts, and reflections. If I were to thank everyone
who made this session a success, I would start with Pip Ashton, Chuck
Burnette, and Ron Curedale and work my way to Karel van der Waarde
and Pradeep Yammiyavar. Thanks to you all!

The five speakers from Session 1 will remain with us for the rest of
the conference. Now they get to sit back to raise questions and
propose challenges for the next speakers to consider. They will be
able to take up their new roles soon when Lorraine Justice takes the
stage for the first presentation of Session 2.

If you have questions or ideas to bring forward, you are welcome to
do so during what remains of Session 1. With four sessions to go,
there will be more opportunities to reflect on the role and future of
design in the university.

Once again, to quote the Governator, "I'll be back."

Ken

--

Ken Friedman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design

Visiting Professor
Advanced Research Institute
Faculty of Art, Media, and Design
Staffordshire University