Dear Dr Terence Love

Thank you for your informative post on the various dimensions of need
analysis for the establishment and development of design related activities
in any country. While there are unique needs in each region and country that
is dictated by its history and status of current development we still need
some estimate of how to place designers in an economy dominated by
scientists, technologists, engineers and managers as it is in India today.

We have a reported 40 million technically trained manpower across all
disciplines in India and the design population is very small indeed when
compared to this figure. The group of colleagues with whom I am working felt
that even a basic list of comparative statistics from the industrialised
countries and the newly industrialised ones would give us some basis for the
initiation of a deeper study into the subject.

The points that you have related are indeed very pertinent and our eventual
interest must be to get a better understanding of all these dimensions as
they apply to the Indian condition. While we are very convinced about the
value of a new design school at the University level in India we do need to
address the large number sceptics in the National administration who
unfortunately still perceive design as one that provides aesthetic
embellishment to the hard core research areas of science and technology.

While design in India has made many successes it is still a drop in an ocean
of opportunity that some of us see on a daily basis, particularly in the
areas of development and outside the areas of conventional industry.

I will get in touch with you off the list with specific questions since what
you say about the design scene in Australia has many parallels in the Indian
scene as well.

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my office at NID