On the matter of contradicting or misleading oneself as compared to others,
may I recommend an excellent book:
Herbert Fingarette _Self Deception_ , Routledge 1969.
Fingarette assumes self deception is possible (contextualised with Sartre
amongst others) and attempts to account for it.

Michael Biggs

At 23:13 11/09/2003 -0400, klaus krippendorff wrote:
>ken,
>
>thanks for the reference. i'll check it out. i know the generally normative
>nature of aristotelian writing.
>
>i think there is more to it though, and i would say that "one cannot
>consciously contradict oneself," which is not to say that one cannot lie to
>others,
>use contradictions deliberately, contradict the arguments of others, or
>recognize
>in retrospect that a previous statement contradicts with one that one
>now believes to be true.
>
>this aristotelian proposition is one of the few that can be embodied
>in one's own epistemology and then becomes very consequential as
>suggested in my previous post
>
>klaus
>
>klaus krippendorff
>gregory bateson term professor for cybernetics, language, and culture
>the annenberg school for communication
>university of pennsylvania
>3620 walnut street
>philadelphia, pa 19104.6220
>phone: 215.898.7051 (O); 215.545.9356 (H)
>fax: 215.898.2024 (O); 215.545.9357 (H)
>usa

Dr Michael A R Biggs
Associate Dean (Research)
Reader in Visual Communication

Faculty of Art and Design, University of Hertfordshire
College Lane, Hatfield, Herts. AL10 9AB
United Kingdom

Telephone  +44 (0)1707 285341
Fax  +44 (0)1707 285350
E-mail  [log in to unmask]
Internet  http://www.herts.ac.uk/artdes/research/creac/html/intrombiggs.html

Coordinator of the Centre for Research into Practice
http://www.herts.ac.uk/artdes/research/cr2p/index.htm