Thanks Terry

I present design learning in the last posting as two words but maybe they
could best be presented as design-learning><observation-learning a single
conception of those engagements with the world which are productive of
visual 'things' such as images artefacts etc...the significance of this
learning is that the products and the methods of production engage multiple
layers of meaning and produce multiple layered understandings...you might
say a different layering of meaning for each 'maker' and 'viewer'and with
each revisitation to presentation of an image.

There has been a lot of discussion concerning the notion of judgement in
relation to such productions in design...however the context of my use of
these approaches is within the mainstream academy where analytic,
interpretative, critical, rational, normitive formations of learning
dominate...judgement in this Western traditional context is almost always
based on an exclusion of the visual as a sound basis for a philosophy. The
programs i conduct are titled Indigenous Knowledge & Indigenous
Philosophy...these programs are based in a Visual Philosophy...essentially
a philosophy wherein the texts have been seen by western viewers as "ART"
for decades.

In such a context the normal design things that happen in art/design
schools become tools for engageing students in understandings across
cultures... they also teach the basics of this Indigenous visual philosophy
which is founded in a very particular natural systems morality concerning
knowledge itself. To make the jump across these understandings of the world
design-learning is a collaborative visual-emotional & practical knowledge
negotiation from which a group understanding emerges because in the
non-reductive complexity of multilayered visual negotiations knowledge
often seems to just happen prior to judgment ...indeed this is a context
where the suspension of judgement is a prime moral code.

When these knowledge 'things' begin to just happen in a group we then begin
to focus on the meta-relations of knowledge negotiations...those patterns
observed in our interactions which prompt knowledge events...which we may
then represent visually in many individuated conceptions that are then
brought together to establish another layer of knowledge
negotiations....another engagement cycle of
design-learning><observation-learning where we may begin to track the
temporal rhythms of these patterns.

This approach focuses on people engageing equally as human beings through
visual and oral knowledge formation without a central control, a series of
texts or defined-implied objective. Sometimes it is a lot of fun and
students occasionally make profound cross-cultural transformations of their
understanding of human-being-in-the-world.

Norm

At 08:20 AM 26/08/03 +0000, Terence Love wrote:
>Dear Norm,
>
>Good post. You say,
>
>"Design learning can be seen as an interaction and manipulative interplay
>between persons, materials, objects, our conceptions and the responses they
>elicit...at another level this activity may be seen as an enmeshment within
>the relations which constitute the whole of a being-in-the-world...this
>view presents design as elemental to human sapience as a continual (albeit
>inhibited & interrupted in some  societies) cognitive tradition undivided
>from the world...an enmeshment within the relational knowledge of the world."
>
>Just wondering why 'design learning' . Seems to me that what you are
>describing in this and your second paragraph is the same as what is normally
> meant by 'learning' - the ordinary sort that is learnt in order to do
something with it.
>Seems a bit odd to need to prefix it with 'design'?
>
>I welcome your thoughts.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Terry

Norman Sheehan
Lecturer
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit
University of Queensland
Brisbane Old 4072 Australia