Dear Lubomir, Erik, Harold, Ken, Chuck, Birgit, Rob,...

A good discussion thread has been growing...

A key reason why the field of design needs to develop a special
understanding about design that is general and universal, is to
understand and develop its own place in the world.

Also, while the 'traditional' design fields and activities continue
to be important, many of the most pressing and interesting design
problems are exactly such that require the application of
abovementioned understanding - and the field of design should develop
its competences in these areas in order to be able to serve the
society in the areas where help is most needed.

Design is special, and one of the specialities of design is its
integrative nature. I feel that the field should embrace and develop
this particular aspect and strive to educate designers into more
diverse fields of activity. Therefore, I feel that it is important to
specifically avoid constraining design into some particular arenas.

However, each designer will always make their own decisions and
judgements about where they want to and can operate, and others will
make judgements about where their contributions are desired and
trusted, so it is difficult for the 'field' to operate as an actor.
Many of the things that might in theory be important for the 'field'
or society may not seem crucial 'design issues' for most designers,
who already have personally chosen to operate in some other kind of
context.

Maybe the 'field' should therefore try to become extremely receptive
to new openings and new kinds of people that could deal with the
challenges that the field needs to tackle. (I wonder who makes the
decisions for the 'field'... University rectors? Research funders?
What is the role of business?) But this specifically calls for a lot
of tolerance for the field to listen to ideas about design that may
be or come from the outside of traditional thinking.

kari-hans