Dear all,

Designers are a funny lot. At least some are. Some designers resent it when
non-designers design, yet they turn around and think nothing of teaching
design. Where in their design education, or for that matter, in their design
practice, did they acquire the knowledge and skills associated with
teaching? Most design curricula are not about teaching but about designing,
as they should be.

Design and teaching share certain elements but are essentially two very
separate and different activities. Some designers can teach effectively,
others cannot; there are even some teachers who cannot teach effectively.
And, by the way, this same phenomenon, i.e., practitioners teaching their
disciplines, occurs in engineering, architecture, chemistry, physics, etc.
It should be  noted that the challenge is not limited to the teaching
activity itself but, more importantly, to learning effectiveness. On that
note, few professional designers have the requisite knowledge and
understanding.

Up until twenty or so odd years universities in Canada hired faculty based
almost only on academic credentials. The assumption was that if you were
academically qualified in your discipline you could, by extension, teach it.
I am sure that this hiring practice was the same in many other parts of the
world. Then the realization hit: there was no correlation between academic
proficiency and teaching/learning effectiveness. We all experienced
brilliant scientists who couldn't teach first-year physics. What happened
next occurred on many campuses: faculty members were given the opportunity
to learn to teach, that is, learn about the
psychology of learning, learning styles, pedagogical theory, etc. Today most
universities have learning and teaching centers that offer all kinds of
workshops and seminars on teaching and learning.

This realization has now shifted to administration in the university,
because the same thing can be said about designers and management: Can a
good designer manage effectively? Some can; some can't. In order to address
the need of managerial leaders at the university, Arizona State University
-- where I work -- now has the Leadership Academy, a program that trains and
educates faculty members to be effective university administrators. A Ph.D.
in chemistry does not automatically make you a good manager. And neither
does an MFA in design.

In the end designing, teaching, and managing are very different activities.
Why should we assume that when you have the first that you necessarily have
the other two? You may, but then again, you may not.

Jacques R. Giard, PhD
Professor and Director
School of Design
Arizona State University