Apologies for multiple postings
Some places left:

25th March, led by Allan Davies
10 15 - 4 00 @ Davies Street, London W1, UK
Cost 150.00 Book at http://www.cltad.ac.uk or email [log in to unmask]

Writing Learning Outcomes
In the search for explicitness for students and accountability to funders and quality monitoring agencies, the articulation of intended learning outcomes has become the key method of translating the intentions and expectations of teachers into meaningful and acceptable form. For the purpose of clarity, writing learning outcomes has also become a skill in itself. The use of terminology, the number of outcomes and how they relate to assessment criteria have proven real challenges to many teachers. The latter concern was indeed picked up as a sector wide concern by the QAA in its Art and Design Subject Overview Report following the last round of Subject Review.

Many of the difficulties also arise in art and design because it is difficult to interpret with any clear objectivity conventional expectations such as 'creativity', 'imagination' and other such terms used in divergent thinking.

Recently, there has been a reaction to the use of learning outcomes in there standard format (Hussey and Smith, 2002) and other authors reveal curriculum methods designed to address the shortcoming of the outcomes approach (O'Donovan, Price, and Rust, 2001)

This workshop is intended to address the issues that occur in art and design when we take an outcomes led approach. We will ask:

How do we use outcomes that promote creativity?
How can the assessment criteria relate to the outcomes?
        What else do we have to do?

Aims
To use outcome-led learning as a strategy for improving the quality of student learning

Objectives
At the end of the workshop it is intended that you will be able to:

* Explain the purposes of outcome-led learning in art and design

* Locate outcome-led learning within a learning and teaching situation

* Deign a course/programme and appropriate learning teaching methods using an outcome-led learning approach
Felix Lam
Co-ordinator, The Centre for Learning & Teaching in Art & Design (cltad)
c/o 65 Davies Street, London W1K 5DA
tel: +44 (0) 207 514 8162 (dd) fax: +44 (0) 207 514 6994
http://www.cltad.ac.uk